Changes

by Sully on May 31, 2011

in Site Stuff

Beginning tomorrow, almost all of the Red Sox content Marc Normandin, Matt Kory and I produce will show up at Over the Monster, SB Nation’s Red Sox blog. The Beacon has only been in existence for nine months or so, and it’s not going anywhere, but we’re excited about the chance to analyze Red Sox baseball for a much broader readership. What follows is our rationale for the move, and our vision for this site moving forward.

We’re really excited about where SB Nation is headed directionally. Jeff Sullivan and Rob Neyer are doing a terrific job on the SB Nation Baseball front page and some of our very favorite team sites sit in the network, including OTM. Personally, I have no commercial aspirations at all when it comes to baseball writing, but if I am going to take time to do it, I’d rather people read my work. Traffic numbers were impressive given how young we are here at the Beacon, and the trend was our friend, but OTM offers many, many more eyeballs. Moreover, we find SB Nation’s multiple rounds of venture funding from some of the most reputable early stage investors out there affirming.

As for this site, we plan to have it live on as Boston Sports Beacon. We have many details to work out, and the site’s direction will probably change dozens of times in the coming months. But the vision is clear: we want to be a choice destination for thinking fans interested in the Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots, Liverpool FC, the New England Revolution, those random bocce courts over in the North End, Boston College, the Deutsche Bank Championship, local golf more generally, the Boston Marathon, Hockey East, The Head of the Charles, you name it. If it’s sports related, has anything to do with Boston and there’s a thoughtful or provocative angle to be fleshed out, we want to be on it. There won’t be much structure for a while, but, slowly but surely, we’ll amass quality content. If we can tackle the content component, from there, the format will take shape.

In order to execute against this plan, we of course need contributors. I have a Celtics piece swirling about in my head that hasn’t had a home. Now it does. If you’re like me at all in that you love Boston sports, you love thinking about Boston sports, and you’d like to write about Boston sports, hit me up (redsoxbeacon at gmail dot com). I’d love anyone interested to come forward. We will probably start with some Bruins coverage in the coming days and take it from there.

Red Sox Beacon has been a lot of fun. We started this place because we thought there was a bit of a gap in the Red Sox blogosphere. Now, at OTM, we get to write for many more people. Meanwhile, the Beacon isn’t going anywhere. Keep checking back if other Boston sports interest you.

Thanks, everybody.

Mike May 31, 2011 at 8:33 am

Congrats on the move! Red Sox Beacon has been a pleasure to read in its current form. Looking forward to the future and your work at OTM.

Matt May 31, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Thanks, Mike. See you over at OTM!

LorenzoStDuBois May 31, 2011 at 8:35 am

So I’m not sure I get it.

What is happening specifically to this site? Is it:

A) Everything we have been getting, PLUS soccer, football, hockey, basketball, etc.?

or

B) Highlights of what we have been getting, as just one of five or so sports bloggings?

Can I just ignore all this about SB Nation and keep getting this content? I don’t care about other teams very much.

All I wanted was a blog specifically about the Red Sox (of which there were many), which didn’t consist of hating on JD Drew because he doesn’t try hard enough and isn’t enough of a slap hitter (of which there were none aside from this site).

Do I still get that?

Matt May 31, 2011 at 1:07 pm

First, I should say thanks so much for reading. RSB wouldn’t be going anywhere if it weren’t for our readers. So thank you for that.

Second, please, follow us to Over The Monster. Everything that we posted here will be posted there. I can’t speak for Marc or Sully, but as for me, I’ll be doing everything exactly the same way. I’ll be writing Daily Links and doing analysis when I can. Sully will be doing analysis when he can and Marc will be writing up a storm. I’d say the biggest change aside from a different URL will be that Marc is writing maybe even more than before. So that’s a great thing.

There won’t be any hating on JD Drew at OTM and if there is I’ll be posting a rebuttal piece so, so fast.

I hope you’ll give us the same chance at OTM that you gave us here at RSB. But whether you do or not, it’s been a pleasure writing for such an astute readership.

Thank you.

LorenzoStDuBois May 31, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Thanks Matt,

Guess I’ll see if I can add OTM to my RSS. I did very much enjoy those posts that were like a morning round up of red sox-related news and notes from around the web. Please continue to do that?

Matt May 31, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Thanks, Lorenzo. I appreciate it the kind words. I have been specifically told to write Daily Links each weekday so I guess that’ll be my lot in life for a while.

Just made my first post at OTM, but tomorrow you’ll see Daily Links up there, just like we used to do here. Hope you continue to enjoy. Feel free to poke your head into the comments from time to time and say hi.

Jake May 31, 2011 at 8:50 am

Selfishly, I admit to being a bit bummed about this. OTM is pretty noisy, so I’ll miss having a calmer place to read well-reasoned, analytical writing about the Red Sox.

That said, I’m happy for all of you guys. You’ve done great work here and elsewhere, so you certainly deserve a larger readership. Congrats!

Matt May 31, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Jake. We’re all excited about the big move as well. But before I’ve posted anything over there I’m replying to all of you here.

I can’t do anything about the way OTM is set up, but I can do my best to give you the same well-reasoned analytical look at the Red Sox that you’ve come to enjoy here at RSB. Please join us over there and give us a shot.

Thanks for reading.

Marc May 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Thanks, Jake!

The articles will be in the exact same format they are here–we don’t have to change anything for OTM or its audience. You’ll still be able to get us in the same format, just with a different URL to get there.

Jake May 31, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Despite my sadness to see the Beacon change, I’ll definitely keep reading you guys over at OTM—didn’t mean to leave that ambiguous!

Carl May 31, 2011 at 11:21 am

I agree with Jake. It was nice to have a quiet place to read thoughtful articles. I’m also not a boston-guy boston fan. I’m just a red sox fan, and a baseball fan, which is why the site appealed to me. It wasn’t so drenched in boston culture. it was thoughtful, and it was about baseball. And I’m not such a big fan of sb nation. Let me summarize my feelings about the move…”NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

But good luck in your future ventures. It’s been real.

Matt May 31, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Hi Carl.

I think we’re alike in many of the ways you just described. If it’s at all up to me I intend to make OTM just RSB with a different URL. I’m excited to get to SB Nation, and I sincerely hope you’ll be joining us there as a reader. Give us a chance and I trust you’ll find the same high quality analysis (sprinkled with just a bit of humor) that you enjoyed here.

Thanks for reading.

Marc May 31, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Don’t worry, Carl–you can get your fix with us at OTM, and it will be just like here: only about baseball. We hope you’ll come along with us to continue reading.

Sully May 31, 2011 at 12:48 pm

If you like the content here, there really isn’t much reason not to follow along at OTM. I hope some of you guys will hang in there with us.

As for Boston Sports Beacon, I am not really sure what it will be. I bet it won’t appeal much to the non-Boston Sox fan though.

Mark May 31, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Thanks for continuing to sate my ravenous appetite for thoughtful Sox-related content. I have never been exactly thrilled by OTM, but will continue to follow over there because, frankly, you lot are pretty damn good.

Matt May 31, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Thanks, Mark. We’ll do our best to not let you down. See you over there.

Marc June 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Much appreciated, Mark. We hope that OTM will be thrilling from this point forward!

Kenny June 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I’ve been reading you guys here for awhile, and are happy that your coming over to OTM. I like the idea of this site being a one-stop shopping center for Boston sports. As a regular commenter at OTM(Lloyd Christmas), I wish you guys nothing but success and a warm welcome(even if you are aliens).